Thursday, November 29, 2012

Addicted

I have to admit it - I have an addiction. To what you might ask - Roasted Broccoli...

I first saw the idea on Pinterest


It was called the Best broccoli of your Life from The Amateur Gourmet- now really - what is so amazing about broccoli?  Usually it is a good side dish to any dinner - made even better when covered in thick and gooey cheese sauce.  But really what can make a grown woman eat broccoli like it is candy??? Cooking it like this...

Any time I see broccoli on sale (some time even at full price) - I have to make this for me and only me.  The DH and DD won't touch it for different reasons.  DH won't eat anything green and DD says she only likes the tree bottoms and only when they are steamed or boiled.  So no complaints by me.  I make a batch and enjoy directly from the cookie sheet and sometimes some even make it to my plate to have with dinner.

I have been known to eat two beads of broccoli in two days b/c it is so tasty.  My favorite bits are the dark and carmalized bits. So delicious. 

So I have to recommend to  you to try the boring green trees this way - you will never eat broccoli steamed again.  (I even think this is better than the cheese covered broccoli!)

Roasted Broccoli - please don't just my cooking ways - I know real lemon is better than the plastic lemon and Garlic is better whole than in garlic salt - but I make this when ever the mood hits me and I never have fresh lemons or garlic in the house...

  • Preheat the oven to 425. --- I put my cookie sheet in the oven now so that it warms up with the oven - I love to hear the sizzle when you put the broccoli on it.  Not sure if it helps with the crispy bits but to me it does :)
  • Take 4 to 5 pounds of broccoli , cut into florets --- I don't wash broccoli - you can read  The Amateur Gourmet's reason why- made sense to me - so I didn't wash it either.
  • In a bowl toss the broccoli with olive oil and pepper - I add a little garlic salt too. (no measurement - I just throw some in the bowl and mix.  (He add garlic cloves but we never have them in the house - sad I know so that is why I use the garlic salt)
  • When the oven is preheated pull out the cookie sheet - 
  • Roast in the oven 20 to 25 minutes - you will see the brown bits - My favorite!!
    When time is up - take the pan out of the oven and spritz with lemon juice - I use one of those plastic lemons --- add more olive oil - again I just drizzle some on there - never measuring and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese...

    Now ENJOY. 

    If you are like me you will eat most of it right off the cookie sheet before the rest of dinner is done.  But you might want to share with your family too.

    Enjoy - and you are welcome to invite me over for dinner when you make this - I won't mind at all.


     

No comments:

Post a Comment