Friday, July 30, 2010

Blueberry Picking...

One of my favorite memories I have of growing up was driving to Coventry to my Great Aunt Amelia and Great Uncle Tony's house and being let loose with a bucket and all the adults saying - "go pick blueberries". It was the perfect summer activity... the blueberries we so delicious and sweet! I probably ate more than I put in the bucket.

But I also knew that when we would go back to my Great Aunt Virginia's house (AKA - Auntie - in the photo to the left with my Great Uncle Bill, aka PA) she would make my favorite treat on the planet. Blueberry Slump. Now I now it doesn't sound pretty - it is really blueberries and dumplings... but it was and still is to me the best summer treat. You can eat it warm or cold (I prefer warm) - you can have it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or dessert (add vanilla ice cream).

So when I saw that it was blueberry picking season again here in RI. I instantly thought - Blueberry Slump time. I am not sure if Abbie will eat it - she eats a lot of un-kid like things (broccoli, etc) - but sometimes to get her to try new things it takes a few times.

Maybe we will go blueberry picking for me - and see if she will eat them right from the bush - at least them she is eating her fruit.

If you don't have a Great Aunt with blueberry bushes in her year... you can check out this list of local farms where you can pick your own blueberries (and other items throughout the year too.

We as a family have gone to Rocky Point Farm and Schartners Farm in years past too.

And here is the "recipe" if you want to try Auntie's Blueberry Slump.
This is exactly how she taught me to make them - no measurements - no timing - just feel and taste. (Wish I could cook like that all the time!)

* Blueberries - two to three pints (or more if you want more)
* Water
* Cinnamon
* Sugar
* Jiffy

1. Washed and clean blueberries of all stems.

2. Place blueberries in the bottom of a large pot and just cover them with water. Add sugar and cinnamon to desired taste.

3. Heat blueberries and water to a low boil till the blueberries split and cook down.

4. While blueberries are cooking. Make dumplings mix per the Jiffy recipe.

5. When blueberries have cooked down - drop dumplings by the spoonful into the blueberry mixture trying to keep them separates so they don't all cook together.

6. After a while, carefully turn the dumplings over so they can cook on both sides.

7. Serve when the dumplings are cooked through. Serve hot or cold.

If you make some - call me - I will be over with some tupperware to take home a sample with me :) LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment